Galettes offer the perfect opportunity to showcase ripe summer fruits in a luxurious way. This dessert is also a lifesaver as it can be made ahead and stored in the freezer until you’re ready to bake. I love to combine a savory element into my pastry dough to elevate the rustic texture of the flaky and tender butter crust. Perfect for brunch, a snack or the grand finale of a dinner party, this strawberry galette recipe will take the cake at your next gathering.
Strawberry Galette with Tarragon Cornmeal Pastry
Makes 8 servings
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
¼ cup sugar
1½ tsp. Kosher salt
¼ cup fresh tarragon, finely chopped
20 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter
6 to 8 Tbsp. ice water
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar and salt.
2. Add tarragon and butter, and mix.
3. Dump mixture onto a clean workspace. Using a rolling pin, create thin sheets.
4. Scrape mixture back into bowl and slowly add ice water. Use your hands to mix dough until all flour is moistened, adding only enough water so dough is not crumbly.
5. Form dough into a 1-inch-thick square. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate a minimum of 2 hours.
3 cups strawberries
½ cup sugar
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1. Thinly slice strawberries into rounds.
2. In a large bowl, toss with sugar and flour. Let sit 20 minutes.
To Bake and Serve
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp. heavy cream
whipped cream or crème fraîche
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Roll dough into a large round and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
3. Spoon strawberry filling into center of dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold pastry border over edge of filling and crimp edges. Chill in freezer 30 minutes, or until very firm.
4. In a small bowl, mix egg yolk and cream. Brush over pastry edge. Sprinkle with sugar and bake 20 minutes.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake until dark golden brown.
6. Let cool. Serve with softly whipped cream or crème fraîche.