Every season presents a unique range of fresh produce and ingredients primed to amplify the flavors and textures of your favorite dishes. In our opinion, the perfect accompaniment to any cocktail is a sweet something to snack on while sipping. To satisfy your sweet tooth this winter, follow the advice of Kowalski’s Markets experts and craft these pairings for your next night in.
Lemon Maple Martinis
3 oz. vodka
1½ oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 oz. Cointreau or triple sec
1 to 2 Tbsp. Kowalski’s pure maple syrup, to taste
lemon twist for garnish
1. In a cocktail shaker, combine all ingredients with ice.
2. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Strain evenly into 2 martini glasses. Garnish with a lemon twist.
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
¼ cup Kowalski’s salted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup sugar
1. Thaw pastry at room temperature 15 minutes. Unwrap and lay flat.
2. Brush ⅛ cup butter evenly over pastry. Sprinkle ½ cup sugar evenly on top from edge to edge.
3. Using a rolling pin, roll pastry away from you until 13 inches long. Flip over and brush second side with remaining butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Roll pastry in same direction until 18 inches long by 9½ inches wide.
4. Arrange pastry so it is longer horizontally. Starting with near edge, roll dough tightly toward center, stopping halfway. Roll in far edge to meet first roll.Freeze roll 25 minutes. Remove pastry from freezer. Turn seam-side down and gently squeeze 2 rolls together. Slice into ¼-inch, somewhat heart-shaped pieces. Place on 3 parchment-lined baking sheets at least 2 inches apart. Bake at 425°F until golden, about 12 minutes.
5. Halfway through, rotate pan and flip cookies. Let cool on pan until crisp. Store at room temperature up to 1 week.
3 cups apple cider
2 cups dry cider
½ cup Kowalski’s pure maple syrup
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
2 to 3 whole star anise, plus more for serving
1 stick cinnamon, plus more for serving
1 orange, sliced ¼ inch thick, plus more for serving
1 apple, sliced ¼ inch thick, plus more for serving
1. In a medium pot over high heat, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.
2. Strain wine to remove solids, if desired. Serve warm with sliced fruit and spices.
Orange Pistachio Bites
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
½ cup heavy cream, very cold
¼ cup superfine sugar
2 Tbsp. Kowalski’s pure honey
30 frozen mini phyllo shells, thawed
¼ cup roasted and salted pistachios, finely chopped
1. Grate zest from oranges. In a large mixing bowl, combine zest with cheese, heavy cream, sugar and 1 Tbsp. honey. Using an electric mixer, beat until soft peaks form. Set aside.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut about ½ inch from both ends of oranges, exposing flesh. Set fruit on end and slice off strips of peel and pith, using a steady downward motion while following the curve of fruit. Slice each orange into 7 to 8 thin rounds then cut rounds into quarters.
3. Spoon filling into phyllo shells. Top with orange pieces. Drizzle with remaining honey and sprinkle with pistachios. Serve immediately.